Large & / Or Bulk Items
As a special service to our residents, the City picks up bulk items, appliances, furniture or mattresses at no charge. However, in some cases, a fee may be charged when trash exceeds normal limits.
When / Where to Place Items
Put the items out on your tree lawn no earlier than 7 p.m. the evening before your regular collection day, but before 7 a.m. on your regular collection day.
Types of Items Collected
- Large Pieces of Furniture
- Mattresses Will Be Collected on the Regular Collection Day
Doors must be removed from all appliances and the item placed flat on the ground in a manner that prevents children or pets from climbing in or becoming locked inside before placing it outside for collection.
- Carpeting and padding must be neatly rolled or folded and placed on the tree lawn.
- Furniture in good condition may be donated to organizations - call the Recycling Office at 216-691-7300 for a list of charities.
- Glass products and items with sharp edges must be placed in puncture-resistant containers (for example, coffee cans, 2-liter bottles, heavy boxes) before putting them in the plastic refuse bag.
- Large boxes and crates must be flattened and tied.
- Plaster and roofing materials (in small quantities) must be boxed or bagged, and can weigh no more than 40 pounds each.
- Tires must be separated from their rims.
- Wood must be cut into four-foot lengths and bundled.
- All nails must be removed or hammered flat to prevent injury.
Special pickups of refuse will be made on days other than the regular collection day upon request. Please notify the Public Works Refuse Division at 216-691-7300 if you need a special pickup.
Fines for Violation
If refuse of any type is set out prior to the regular collection day with no arrangement made with the Public Works Department, a fine of $85 may be imposed for violation of City ordinances.